Friday, June 19, 2009

Time to Hit the Road

It's been a spell since I've had the chance to write about the Frontier League and all the fun it brings to the Midwest section of the country from May through September. Some of you folks who have been around the League for awhile may remember my columns on the FL web site back before there were blogs and all this fancy "Web 2.0" technology.

Well, never one to shy away from speaking my mind, especially about something that has been part of my life for almost 17 years, I have decided (and the Frontier League big shots have allowed me) to begin publishing again about this "League of Dreams". It is possible, however, that Commissioner Bill Lee did not receive the memo.

I saw on the web site that 19 young players have moved on from the FL to play in the Big Leagues. Six of them are currently on MLB rosters, including that Rollie Fingers-mustache-wearing Clay Zavada for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Clay was with the Southern Illinois Miners only LAST YEAR! Shows you how good this Frontier League thing really is.

To kick off the re-emergence of my writing spirit, I am going to travel to seven ballparks in seven days beginning Sunday at Washington's CONSOL Energy Park, home of the Wild Things. Sunday is Father's Day and I can't think of a better way to spend it, hanging out at the diamond and re-living memories that I shared with my dad.

I invite you to travel along with me as I go from Washington to six other venues, ending up at River City's T.R. Hughes Ballpark a week from Saturday. Hope to see you at a game!