Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Krazy K-Zoo

On the drive to Kalamazoo Tuesday, I took some time to visit the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids. Seven dollars bought admission to the building dedicated to the only President not elected to either that office or the Vice-Presidency. I have to admit that as a kid interested in politics (C-SPAN had just been introduced on early cable), I knew about him when he was a Congressman from Michigan. On a trip to the Capitol, my dad, a native Michigander, pointed him out as the Minority Leader on the House floor. Great exhibits and film clips - my favorite item on display was one of the tape recorders from Richard Nixon's Oval Office. The Museum is located right off the main highway in town (I-131) and is definitely worth a couple of hours.

When I got out of the car in Kalamazoo for the Kings' game with the visiting Lake Erie Crushers, I noticed that the heat index had definitely gone up compared to the previous day in Traverse City. Arriving at the ballpark in rather humid conditions, I took some time to examine the statue in front of the stadium. The Kings play at the most aptly named place in the Frontier League, Homer Stryker Field. If you were to think that the moniker is simply a clever spelling for a fictional character, you would be wrong. Homer Stryker was the founder of the Stryker Corporation, a world renowned medical supply company. More important, he was an impressive baseball player at the high school, college, and semi-pro level, impressive because he pitched without the ring and pinky fingers on his throwing hand, lost in a farming accident when he was 4 years old. He pitched the winning game for the University of Michigan in the Big 10 Championship and, even after he had become an innovative businessman, managed and coached the dominant amateur team of the region, the Maroons.

I mentioned yesterday that I would be visiting with an important figure in the League when I got to Kalamazoo. Fran Riordan, manager for the Kings, would be on everyone's short list of key people in the Frontier League. As a six-season player, he became the leader in nearly every offensive category in the FL - he still is the top name in career games played and runs batted in. As a manager, he has guided teams to three League championships, two with the Richmond Roosters and one with the Kings. The most impressive on-field accomplishment is the fact that both rings he got with the Roosters, he earned them as the player-manager. Most of the time, a player-manager is simply a guy at the end of his career who is transitioning to the top step. Not the case with Fran. He was still a star on the team and "managed" to get his team to repeat in a league that demands youthful regeneration each season. The most impressive accomplishment off the field is his work in the community - so impressive that the League's Citizenship Award is named for him. What I continue to admire about him is that this Buffalo, New York native is the ideal combination - a focused, competitive baseball guy who is a generous, upbeat human being.

The other person that I have to mention, because he personifies Kalamazoo baseball is General Manager Joe Rosenhagen. To even say that Joe is the General Manager is to misdescribe what he does for the Kings' organization. Joe is a one-man wrecking crew - simply put, he does everything, including putting on a uniform and serving on the coaching staff once the lineup cards are exchanged. The reason I have to mention him is not that he defines the hard-working baseball executive, it is because, in all my travels in the League, Joe is the guy that absolutely gets what the Frontier League is about. I know I'm being a bit sappy, but indulge me for a moment. What the FL does is prepare young players, managers, coaches, team staff members, umpires, trainers, and whoever else crosses its door for a move up the baseball ladder (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Joe takes that commitment seriously and does it with as much integrity as anyone I know. In short, if I were in charge of putting together a baseball league (or a business venture of any kind), Joe would be a first round pick.

All right - let's talk about some of the fun things in Kalamazoo Tuesday night. The comedy stylings of P.A. announcer Jim Lefler and official scorer Jason Zerban were in rare form when I ventured into the press box. Apparently, their focus lately has been on naming the "All-Money" team in baseball history, including Norm Cash and Ernie Banks. In a bold pre-Euro move, I contributed Curt Schilling to the mix . . . my new favorite ballpark dance is the "Cupid Shuffle" performed by the Kings' interns (I'm sounding like Larry King) . . . Kalamazoo Assistant General Manager Ryan LaPorte, who is still just a college kid, has been with the organization for years. Given that he has done some incredible things in a short life, like building a baseball facility in his hometown single-handedly, he is my nomination for FL Commissioner in future decades.

Finally, saw this street sign on my drive into town. I know it's a term for a fisherman, but can't see writing it on an envelope as my return address without giggling. Next up - on my way to Evansville, where the featured player will be an edifice. Talk to you then!